Monday, December 2, 2013

Annndddd....We're Here!

On the way to the airport in Vancouver
So, we've finally made it.  We are here, in Laos, after traveling for two days.

Here's a quick recap of our adventures, thus far:

Mystery meat satay on our first night in Luang Prabang.
 Oh and Beer Lao, of course
1) Air Canada still serves Nissin noodles.  Thank goodness for that as it made the 12 hour journey completely worth it.

Our first (of many) Buddha
2) China is expensive.  It would have been helpful if Allan and I had looked into the conversion rate prior to stepping foot in the airport but we didn't and ended up paying $50 for some of the worst tea we've ever had.  Allan STILL says it was great but we both know he's lying.


3) Air China is not an airline I'd fly on again.  Nothing happened on the flight but it just wasn't an airline I'd use.  If this helps, Allan has compared it to United Airlines.  (Sorry, Carmen.)

Streets in Luang Prabang
4) Bangkok Airport (Suvarnabhumi) is one of the most beautiful airports I've ever been in.  It is SO BIG

Mekong River with a couple of longboats, a ricketty bridge and two young monks
5) Thailand has really huge black worms and for some reason, they crawl up almost every bathroom wall around.

Southeast Asia is not complete without drinking fresh coconuts.  YUMMY
6) PROP PLANES ARE SCARY.  If I could capitalize this statement even more, I would.  I was very afraid.  The plane was small, very rocky, bounced on every corner, and felt like it was falling from the sky.  I almost cried.  The only thing that made the 1.5 hour plane ride worth it was seeing the Laos countryside.

The epitome of street meat.  (And yes, I am wearing elephant pants and carrying a coconut)
7) Laos is absolutely the most beautiful place I've ever seen (thus far).  The hills are magical with the thick, billowy clouds surrounding them.  The Mekong River is a staple here and provides many villagers and townspeople with a means of income.  We have been here only a day and a half so far and it feels like a place I could call home for a while.

The Royal Palace.  Now, a museum
8) The Malaria pills did not react well with me.  I was extremely sick after taking the first one and have not taken one since.  I currently have three mosquito bites...

As promised, Pamela, here is a hornet.  They are massive over here.
Our cute room at Villa Laodeum Guesthouse
Sabaidee!!

 

3 comments:

  1. Love hearing so much already - yay! My only complaint is that there aren't enough pictures of you guys in the scenery. I mean, I want the elephant pants up close and personal [there were not elephants harmed in the making of your pants right???]. Thinking of you both - the countdown is on!!! xoxo C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen is so right!!! But it looks so beautiful and calm there! I'm glad you're having such a great time!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look so beautiful. I was wondering how hot it was this time of year??xxooo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...